A history of reimagining
- Seiji Noma, the founder of Kodansha, is born.
- Seiji Noma creates the company Dai Nippon Yuben Kai.
- The first issue of the magazine Yuben.
- Kodansha is founded. The first issue of the magazine Kodan Club.
- The first issue of the magazine Omoshiro Club. “Omoshirokute tame ni naru
(interesting and useful)” remains Kodansha’s editorial direction.
- The Great Kanto Earthquake. The Great Fire of Taisho Earthquake is published.
- The first issue of King magazine, which later becomes the first magazine in Japan
to reach a million copies in circulation.
- Dai Nippon Yuben Kai merges with Kodansha.
The first issue of the magazine Yonen Club
completes Kodansha’s first lineup of nine magazines.
- King reaches 1.5 million copies in circulation.
- King Records is founded.
- Seiji Noma passes away.
- The end of WWII. Shoichi Noma becomes the 4th president of Kodansha.
- The company is renamed Kodansha.
- The first issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine and Weekly Gendai are published.
- Shoichi Noma becomes chairman
of Publishers Association for Cultural Exchange, Japan.
- Participated in Frankfurter Buchmesse for the first time.
- Kodansha International is founded
- Shoichi Noma is appointed vice chairman
of International Publishers Association.
- The first issue of the magazine with. Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Window published; over eight million copies have been
published (23.71 million copies worldwide), a record in Japan.
- The first issue of the magazine ViVi.
- Shoichi Noma passes away.
- Kodansha Beijing Culture is founded.
- Kodansha 100th anniversary.
- The Great East Japan Earthquake. Yoshinobu Noma becomes
the 7th president of Kodansha. Kodansha invests in Vertical
as the book publishing division in North America. Kodansha
Taiwan Media Group is founded.
- 12 manga titles are published simultaneously on Crunchyroll
toward 180 countries. Attack on Titan becomes a bestseller.
- Kodansha 110th anniversary.
Attack on Titan reaches 100 million copies printed.
- Kodansha achieves record high profits of this century.
- Representative Director and President
- Yoshinobu Noma
- Head Office
- 2-12-21 Otowa,Bunkyo-ku Tokyo 112-8001 Japan
- November 1909
- 925(as of February 2021)
- ¥300 million
- Overseas Branches
- Kodansha USA, Inc.
Kodansha USA Publishing, LLC
Kodansha Europe Ltd.
Kodansha Beijing Culture Ltd.
Kodansha Taiwan Media Group.Co., Ltd.